A fast viewer for CSV and Parquet files and SQLite and DuckDb databases that supports large files.
It's a Pivot Table for analyzing and exploring data. Internally, Tad uses DuckDb for fast, accurate processing.
Designed to fit in to the workflow of data engineers and data scientists.
Tad 0.10.1 - June 16, 2022
A packaged installer for Tad is available for macOS, Linux and Windows.
Tad is a perpetual work-in-progress hobby project, so you are likely to encounter bugs, UI annoyances, and corner cases. Please report them via Help...Send Feedback.
If you're comfortable with that caveat, pick your platform and install:
The above releases, along with a few additional formats (such as .rpm for RPM-based Linux Systems) are available at the Tad Releases Page on github.
To send feedback or report bugs, please email email@example.com.
To learn about new releases of Tad, please sign up for the Tad Users mailing list.
This is a low bandwidth list purely for Tad-related announcements; no spam. Your email will never be used for third party advertising and will not be sold, shared or disclosed to anyone.
Tad 0.10.1 - June 16, 2022
New Features / Bug Fixes
- No longer requires Admin rights to install on Windows (#96)
- Built and tested on macOS 11 (Big Sur) and macOS 12 (Monterey) (#169)
- Numbers are now right-aligned for easier visual scanning of magnitude (#166)
- Separate menu options for "Open File..." and "Open Directory..." for better open dialog behavior on Windows and Linux
Tad 0.10.0 - Apr. 19, 2022
- Tad now uses DuckDb instead of SQLite, enabling much better load times and interactive performance, especially for large data files.
- Added direct support for Parquet and compressed CSV files.
- Added a new Data Sources sidebar showing available tables, data files and folders, and allowing fast switching between them.
- Tad can open DuckDb and SQLite Database files:
$ tad myDatabase.duckdbor
$ tad myDatabase.sqlite
- Ability to open filesystem directories directly for quick browsing and exploration of collections of tabular data files.
Internal ChangesThis release is a major restructuring and rewrite of the Tad internals:
- Implementation now structured as a Lerna monorepo, split into 12 sub-modules.
- Implementation ported to TypeScript and UI code updated to React Hooks
- Main pivot table React component (tadviewer) built as an independent module, enabling embedding in other applications
- Experimental proof-of-concept packaging of Tad as a web app and a reference web server, illustrating how Tad could be deployed on the web.
- Experimental proof-of-concept support for other database backends (Snowflake, BigQuery, AWS Athena)
Tad 0.9.0 - Nov. 25, 2018
- Export Filtered CSV - Export result of applying filters on original data set
- Fix issue that prevented opening empty / null nodes in pivot tree
- Correctly escape embedded HTML directives in CSV headers or data cells
- Upgrade numerous internal dependencies (Electron, React, Blueprint, ...)
Tad 0.8.5 - June 28, 2017
- European CSV support - support for
,as field separator.
- IN and NOT IN operators, with interactive search and auto-complete UI.
--no-headersoption for opening CSV files with no header row.
- Scientific Notation as format option for real number column type.
- Add missing negated operators (not equal, does not contain, etc.) to filter editor.
- Fix issue with Copy operation picking up incorrect cell ranges.
- Fix issue in file format when saving / loading per-column format info.
Tad 0.8.4 - May 29, 2017
- Rudimentary filters - simple list of predicates combined with AND or OR
- Simple rectangular range selection and copy to clipboard
- Footer showing row count information: Total Rows, Filtered Rows, Current View
- Cross-Platform: First release for macOS, Linux and Windows
- Sample CSV file included with distribution, linked in Quick Start Guide.
- Pivoting on columns containing backslashes now works.
- Improve error reporting of SQLITE errors when creating table during import.
- Allow filenames that are all digits.
- Correct handling of duplicate column identifiers that differ in upper/lower case.
- Replace auto-create of symbolic link in
/usr/local/binwith self-serve instructions in quick start guide.
Tad 0.8.3 - April 17, 2017
- Tad can now be used to explore saved sqlite3 database files. For example, to explore table
expensesin sqlite db file
$ tad sqlite:///data/accounts.sqlite/expenses(Note that there are 3 slashes following
Tad 0.8.2 - April 12, 2017
- Fix critical bug in pivoting by non-text columns
Tad 0.8.1 - April 9, 2017
- Add support for Tab Separated Value (.tsv) files
- Fix numerous issues with scrollbars and resizing of main window
- Better support for long column names / many columns
Tad 0.8.0 - April 5, 2017
(Initial Public Release)